1 / 1 Picture by:
- 900g (2 lb) diced marrow
- 900g (2 lb) sugar
- 30g (1 oz) root ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 lemons
- To toss
- caster sugar
- bicarbonate of soda
- cream of tartar
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Extra time:8days resting › Ready in:8days30min
- Cut marrow into neat cubes (not too small). Cover with water and leave for 12 hours.
- Strain and mix with sugar and leave for a further 12 hours.
- Tie in a muslin bag the bruised ginger, cayenne pepper and grated rind of both lemons.
- Heat the marrow and sugar with the lemon juice until sugar has dissolved. Add the muslin bag and simmer until marrow is clear and syrup is thick.
- Pour into a glass or ceramic bowl, cover and leave for 7 days.
- Strain off syrup and put the marrow on greaseproof paper laid on a wire rack in a warm place to dry. Roll the cubes in caster sugar containing a pinch of bicarbonate of soda and cream of tartar.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!