Be the first to make this!
About this recipe:
This pasta sauce recipe is my take on an Italian classic. Packed with flavour, this is a form of comfort food second to none.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
40g pancetta, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
2 tablespoons finely chopped celery
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried coriander
few twists of the pepper mill
300g minced beef
250ml white wine
170g tomato puree
2 (400g) tins Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
- Heat oil in large pot or frying pan. Add pancetta and fry gently, stirring occasionally, for some 4 minutes or so or until brown but not crisp.
- Add onions and garlic and fry gently, stirring occasionally for 1 minute. Add carrot and celery and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for further 3 minutes.
- Add the dried herbs and black pepper, stir in well and continue cooking, stirring continuously, for 1 minute.
- Add mince and break down and brown slightly for some 3 minutes or so. Add wine, turn up heat and reduce by half, at first stirring to breakdown mince completely so no lumps remain.
- When wine has reduced, add puree, and stir in quickly to avoid burning. Add tomatoes, stir to break down further and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes to 1 hour or longer if you want a more intense flavour.
Serve with pasta of your choice and side dish of Parmesan cheese.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate