For a first timer, cooking an ox tongue may be a little confusing. Here are some tips:
1. Search for a fresh, small ox tongue. Around 1.5kg (3 lb) or under is usually best in terms of flavour.
2. Clean the tongue well by scrubbing it and allowing it to soak in fresh water.
3. Don't try to cook it too fast, otherwise it can toughen; slow and steady is good.
4. Tongue is not a lean meat, so you will need to remove the skin and the roots from the back.
5. Once cooled, slice very thinly for an an excellent treat on sandwiches or in other dishes.