- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Arrange the aubergine, courgettes, red and green peppers, tomatoes, red onions and whole garlic cloves in a single layer in a large ovenproof dish or roasting tin. Sprinkle with about 2 tbsp of the olive oil, a little cayenne pepper, half the chopped garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Roast for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but not soft and mushy, and are charred in places. Turn the vegetables once or twice during cooking, and increase the heat slightly if they are not cooking quickly enough.
- Meanwhile, toast the sunflower seeds. Lightly brush a frying pan with just a few drops of olive oil, then heat the pan. Add the sunflower seeds and toss and turn them for a few moments until they begin to toast. Shake in a few drops of soy sauce and turn the seeds quickly, letting the soy sauce evaporate as the seeds toast and brown lightly. This should take about 4–5 minutes in total. Remove from the heat just before the seeds are crisp and leave them to cool in the pan. They will crisp up as they cool.
- Cook the pasta in boiling water for 10–12 minutes, or according to the packet instructions, until al dente. Drain well and keep hot.
- Using a knife and fork, cut the roasted vegetables into bite-sized chunks. Toss the vegetables and garlic with the remaining raw chopped garlic, the tomato purée and basil or parsley. Taste for seasoning.
- Toss the pasta with the vegetables and serve immediately, sprinkled with the toasted sunflower seeds.
Some more ideas
Crush a few saffron threads in a mortar using a pestle and add them to the roasted vegetables along with the tomato purée. * Serve each portion of roasted vegetable pasta topped with a spoonful of low-fat fresh goat's cheese instead of toasted sunflower seeds. * Pumpkin seeds can be used instead of sunflower seeds.
As well as all the benefits from the excellent mixture of vegetables in this dish, the sunflower seeds provide a useful source of iron, vitamin B1 and phosphorus.
Each serving provides
A, C, E * B1, niacin, copper, potassium * B2, folate, iron