1 / 1 Picture by: haggispuff
Slow cooker venison, red wine and vegetable stew
haggispuff Hertfordshire, England, UK
- 700g venison
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 3 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 teaspoons Worcester sauce
- 3 beef stock cubes
- 187ml merlot red wine (small bottle)
- 200g stew mix (lentils, green split peas, pearl barley)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 parsnips
- 3 carrots
- 2 onions
- 2 turnips
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 leek
- 1 courgette
- 8 new potatoes, cut in half
- 400ml boiling water
Prep:30min › Cook:8hr › Ready in:8hr30min
- Chop up the venison into chunks and throw into your slow cooker.
- Now add all the herbs, cornflour, tomato puree, worcester sauce, stock cubes (crumbled up), wine, stew mix, garlic and seasoning.
- Chop all your veg into chunks so they are all similar sizes and chuck into the slow cooker.
- Now pour over 400ml of boiling water. Give the veg a stir but try not to disturb the meat at the bottom.
- Put the lid on and cook on low for about 8 to 9 hours. If you are home whilst it cooks, you can give it a quick stir halfway through cooking.
- Once cooked, enjoy with some crusty wholemeal bread. Mmmmm!
Cant wait to try this one, just not using venison. Im guessing beef will be ok? Venison is VERY expensive in Aus. - 12 Nov 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!