- Cut up the leek, carrot and parsnips to a similar size suitable for the cook pot (I usually cut them in batons of about 1/2 inch.)
- Fry the onion in the olive oil for 2 minutes, then add the garlic and the chili flakes and cook for a further minute.
- Put the vegetables (not the bertolli beans yet) in to the pan and fry for a further 5 minutes
- Add the tablespoon of flour and mix well
- Pour in the vegetable stock and the rosemary, mix well
- Transfer all in to the cook pot and add the bertolli beans, stir, put the lid on and cook for 3-4 hours.
- At the end of the cooking time season to taste (lots of black pepper is nice!) and serve with warm bread.
You can add dumplings in the last 30 minutes of cooking if desired- use 4 tablespoons of self raising flour, 150g butter, parsley and a tiny bit of the vegetable stock. Cream the butter and flour together then gradually add the stock. make sure your hands are clean and roll in to balls, submerge in the cook pot just leaving the top above the stew. I have put the pot under the grill for the last few minutes to make the dumplings crispy, but that's up to you!