- Chop sweet onions and place onions, beer, brats, and butter in an iron pot with lid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and allow to simmer, until brats are cooked through, for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat outdoor barbecue.
- Remove brats from the pot and grill until golden brown.
* You can reuse the beer butter onion mixed to cook more brats if needed. Simply add more beer and butter as needed to keep the brats covered. Don't add more onion.
* Don't use margarine instead of the butter!
Place on fresh baked bun and serve with sauerkraut, mayo, mustard, ketchup, onions, peppers and cheese.