Slow-cooker chicken casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 onions
- 200g mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 dessertspoon cornflour
- 300ml water
- 100ml evaporated milk
Prep:15min › Cook:6hr › Ready in:6hr15min
- Heat oil in a frying pan until hot. Wrap chicken breasts in bacon and place into the hot oil. Fry, turning after a few minutes to seal on both sides.
- Transfer chicken breasts to a slow cooker dish. Turn off the heat on the hob and use white wine vinegar to de-glaze the pan. Pour the juices over the chicken.
- Roughly chop onions and mushrooms and add to the dish. Sprinkle thyme into the dish. Mix chicken stock cubes and cornflour with the water and pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Put the slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours, or high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Just before serving, pour in evaporated milk and stir. Serve with your choice of accompaniments and vegetables.
You could substitute the chicken breasts for chicken thighs for a more robust flavour and take advantage of this cheaper cut of meat. Evaporated milk could be omitted, cream could be substituted or even soy milk for those who are dairy-free and still want a creamy casserole. Let me know how you get on!
very easy and tasty. I did not use evap. Milk, but added cream of chicken soup instead. My husband loved it. Thank you for sharing, will use recipe again as it was very well received. - 18 Jan 2013