Orange and chocolate cake
Makes: 1 cake
- For the cake
- 125g butter or margarine
- 175g sugar
- 2 eggs
- zest of 1 large, thick-skinned orange
- 100g dark chocolate chunks
- 175g self-raising flour
- 125ml milk
- For the syrup
- 100g icing sugar
- juice of 1 large, juicy orange
- For the topping
- 100g bar of good-quality dark chocolate
Prep:25min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr10min
- Pre-heat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and line a medium-sized cake tin or loaf tin.
- Cream the butter or margarine and sugar together well. Add the eggs, chocolate chunks and grated orange zest, and mix well.
- Sift the flour and fold it in gently, making sure it is well-mixed in, then add the milk and mix well. Spoon the mixture into the cake tin.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- To make the syrup: Mix the orange juice and icing sugar together well and heat in a small saucepan, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove cake from oven and immediately make lots of holes in it, all over, with a skewer, then pour the the orange-sugar syrup over it. Leave in tin to cool completely before removing.
- When cake is completely cooled, melt the chocolate (either in a bowl set over a pan of warm water, or carefully in a microwave on a low heat). Put into a piping bag and drizzle over the cake. Leave chocolate to set before slicing the cake.
Lovely moist cake, I baked this in a loaf tin. It doesn't need 100g of chocolate on top, half that amount is plenty for a topping. - 16 Dec 2013
Glorious! Add Cointreau with the milk and syrup for an "Adults only" version. Also works well as cupcakes - cook for about 15 mins. - 16 Oct 2013