Rhubarb sponge cake with crumble topping
- 4 to 5 sticks of rhubarb
- 1 to 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 200g caster sugar
- 125ml vegetable or sunflower oil
- 125ml milk
- 2 eggs
- Crumble topping
- 6 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
Prep:20min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Grease and flour a 20x30cm baking dish.
- Peel the rhubarb and cut it into 0.5cm pieces, sprinkle with some sugar and set aside while preparing the rest.
- Combine the crumble topping ingredients. Rub together till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then set aside.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, 200g sugar, oil, milk and eggs together. The mix shouldn't be too dry, you want it quite runny; if necessary, add a little more milk.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish. Sprinkle the cake mixture with the rhubarb, and finally with the crumble mixture.
- Bake the cake until the crumble topping is nice and golden, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. A cocktail stick inserted in the centre of the cake should come out clean.
This recipe can be used with any fruit like plums, strawberries, raspberries, etc.
loved the result, i used half the amounts as there are only 2 of us, i also used tinned rhubarb which worked a treat and was moist and tasty, will deffo make this again and again.. thanks :-) - 08 Oct 2013