- Combine the yeast, salt, flour and spices in a bowl or stand mixer.
- Add the milk, egg and butter and continue to mix until the dough comes together into a smooth, solid ball.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl frequently to ensure the dough is well mixed.
- Cover loosely and leave to rise in a warm place for an hour or two, until the dough has doubled in size.
- Dust your counter and a rolling pin with a little flour. Tip the risen dough out onto the surface and roll to about ½ inch thick.
- Use two ring cutters to cut out doughnut shapes (save the “holes” as well as the scraps). Lay the donuts out on parchment and allow to rise for another hour.
- Heat the oil in a wide saucepan or deep fryer to 180ºC. Carefully add the donuts to the hot oil, ensuring that the pan is not overcrowded, and fry for 3-4 minutes, gently turning over with tongs halfway through cooking. (Use a scrap of dough to test cooking times.)
- Have a container with caster sugar ready. While still warm, dredge the donuts in sugar.
- For the Chantilly:
300ml double or whipping cream
1 vanilla pod, scraped
1 tbsp. triple sec
Zest of 1 orange, finely grated
Whisk all ingredients together until the cream forms soft peaks.
- For the cherries jubilee:
1 can RC Cherry
Juice of 1 orange
400g fresh cherries, pitted
- If using fresh cherries: Pour the RC Cola and orange juice into a saucepan and cook until reduced to a thick syrup. Add the cherries and continue cooking until just soft. Add the brandy, warm through and flambé when serving.
- If using jarred cherries: Pour the RC Cola, orange juice and liquid from the cherry jar into a saucepan and cook until reduced to a thick syrup. Add the cherries and brandy, warm through and flambé when serving.
(Note: this will make more dough than required for this recipe. The excess can be frozen for up to three weeks.)
According to recent research conducted by Royal Crown Cola©, over 50 per cent of couples lucky enough to enjoy a date night alone are most likely to do so in the comfort of their own home. Popular activities for these date nights include everything from talking together to snuggling up to watch the soaps. However, when it comes to the nation’s favourite date night, enjoying a great meal is still top of the list with 42 per cent of men and women looking for something to tickle their taste buds on a night in. In fact, good food and drink was rated more highly than nice music, creating the right mood and an element of surprise.