Cheese and Vegetable Bake
- 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 (200g) bag curly kale
- 1 leek, sliced into rings
- 1/2 (300g) bag trimmed green beans
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- For the cheese sauce
- 15g (1/2 oz) butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml (8 fl oz) milk
- 200g (7 oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven for 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Place half of the potatoes in a large baking dish. Sprinkle the chopped shallots over the top, along with knobs of butter. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the curly kale, leek, green beans and cauliflower.
- To make the cheese sauce, heat the butter over medium heat in a frying pan. Add the flour and stir with the butter to combine well. Slowly add the milk to the pan, stirring constantly to ensure a smooth mixture. Reduce heat to low and add half of the cheese. Stir until cheese has melted, remove from heat and pour 3/4 of the mixture over the vegetables.
- Layer the remaining potatoes on top of the cheese sauce and vegetables. Cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender and cheese is crisp.
I made this for supper on Saturday and the entire family loved it. Many thanks for the delicious, easy recipe. - 05 Oct 2008
Loved this So easy to make and delicious, I'll definately be making this again. - 10 Feb 2011
made this with my 7yr old daughter it tasted so good all the family cleared there plates,we served it with roast chicken was very yummy - 19 Feb 2012