Braised beef in red wine
A rich and tasty dish that is good enough for a dinner party, yet easy enough for an informal supper. Can easily adapt for a slow cooker and the flavours will improve if cooked in advance.
76 people made this
900g (2 lb) braising or stewing beef, cubed
450g (1 lb) shallots
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
450g (1 lb) mushrooms, quartered
1 bottle of red wine
4 rashers of smoked bacon, chopped
3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
1 bouquet garni
1 beef stock cube
- Coat the meat in the flour and fry in the oil for approx 5 minutes until brown. Set aside in a large casserole dish.
- Fry the shallots in oil for 3-5 minutes, adding the crushed garlic for the last 2 minutes. Add this to the beef along with the mushrooms.
- Warm the wine till bubbling and add to the casserole.
- Add ketchup, bouquet garni, beef stock cube and bacon to the casserole and mix together.
- Cover and put in oven at 170 C / Gas 3 for approximately 2 1/2 hours, remove lid and cook for a further 1/2 hour. Alternately put in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours.
Reviews & ratings
Average global rating:
Reviews in English (19)
A whole bottle of wine was too much, when I make it again I shall use less and button mushrooms
14 Feb 2011
Very easy to make and very tasty too. I didn't use a whole bottle of wine as I think that would've been too much. I used a crock-pot and 6 hours on low was just right.
07 Aug 2011
Really lovely, all my guests ate it up quickly with some garlic-infused mashed potato and some fresh green beans. Will definately make this again.
14 Sep 2011
User's IP: 22.214.171.124