Sausage and potato bake
- 900g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 250g sausages
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced into rings
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- ground black pepper
Prep:30min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4 and grease a casserole dish.
- Line bottom and sides of dish with potatoes. Lay half the sausages (cut sausages in half lengthways if they're big) on top, then onions, then cover with half a tin of tomatoes. Season with pepper. Place another layer of potato slices, sausages and onion over this and add remaining tomatoes and season once again with pepper. Cover with a thin layer of potato slices, dot with butter and place in oven.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until potato topping is well browned and rest have all but dissolved.
- Serve topped with grated cheese.
This is a great base recipe to which you can add other seasonings to taste, such as salt, dried Italian herbs or red chilli flakes if you like it spicy!
I followed this recipe and my potatoes were still raw after cooking for 60 minutes. Was i doing something wrong? If not then this recipe really doesn't work - 29 Aug 2011
I also had the problem with the potatoes not cooking completely. Next time, I will give them a quick boil (5-10 min) before using them in this recipe. - 02 Jul 2012
I made this for me, my brother and step-son last night and I was lovely! Although I forgot my brother hates tinned tomatoes but he still ate it all! I also added some red annd green pepper into it! Lovely recipe that I will be using again - 11 Mar 2012