- Knob of butter
- 450g (1lb) caster sugar
- 120ml (4 fl oz) milk
- 1 small tin (397g) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Prep:1hr5min › Cook:15min › Ready in:1hr20min
- Grease a square baking tin (with tall sides) with butter.
- Heat sugar and milk slowly in a heavy based saucepan till all the sugar dissolves.
- Add the condensed milk and bring to the boil.
- Boil for about 15-20 minutes until it becomes pitted like a moon base.
- Then boil for another 5 minutes until it comes off the sides of the pan easily.
- Pour into the greased tin.
- Leave to cool for ten minutes, mark into squares of desired size and cut when completly cool.
Secrets to fudge success
Read our Making perfect fudge article to learn a few secret tips and tricks to making perfect fudge every time.
I am a bit confussed 2 what iv done wrong....but i made this last night and it still hasn't set this morning...should i cover it and put it in fridge? Leave it uncovered in fridge? or cover it up and leave out of fridge? It looks the correct colour, but i cant cut it yet as its 2 sticky. Help! - 04 Dec 2011
This tastes really good but I added 100g of butter to make it set. I also stirred it now-and-then towards the end so that the mixture didn't catch and then, when I took it off the heat, I stirred it vigourously to get air into the mixture and help the setting. - 15 Apr 2012
Something else. After removing from heat, beat it with a wooden spoon for about a minute until really smooth, before pouring out. - 24 Dec 2010