- 4 eating apples - peeled, cored and sliced
- 50g (1¾ oz) self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 30g (1 oz) butter
- 50g (1¾ oz) caster sugar
- 1 large egg
Prep:20min › Cook:10min › Ready in:30min
- In a large pot, stew the apple slices over low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas mark 4.
- Place stewed apples in the bottom of a oven proof baking dish or large souffle dish.
- Sieve flour and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Beat the butter, sugar and egg together until smooth and creamy. Fold in the flour mixture. Pour on top of the stewed apples and spread evenly.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until well risen, firm and springy when you touch it! Dust with icing sugar and serve with custard or whipped cream.
This recipe only makes a small amount of mixture (double might be better?) and the oven timings seem completely wrong (mine was nowhere near cooked even after half an hour). I used the same amount of butter as for sugar and flour. Having said all this, when it was eventually cooked it tasted pretty good! - 03 Sep 2011
great loved this and very easy to make we also used eating apples will be using again and again - 13 Feb 2010
Spot on, great recipe. I doubled it and increased the time to about 20mins. Served 6. We all liked it so much, we will eat the rest tomorrow. - 21 Oct 2012