Orange Ginger Sponge Pudding
- 3 tablespoon golden syrup
- 3 oranges
- 115g/4 oz butter
- 115g/4 oz light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, made up to 300ml with orange juice
- 175g/6 oz self raising flour, sifted
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- A 2 1/2 pint (1.5 litre) pudding basin, lightly greased
Prep:45min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:2hr15min
- Pour syrup into greased pudding basin.
- Cut each orange into six round slices, put in pan of cold water and bring to boil. Boil the slices for 3 mins to blanch them, then dry on kitchen roll. Arrange inside the basin.
- Beat the butter to a soft cream, then beat in sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in beaten egg and orange juice, with sifted flour, salt and ginger, until well blended.
- Turn mixture into the basin and hollow out the centre slightly. Cover basin with a piece of greased foil, forming a pleat down the centre. Place in a steamer (or saucepan with tight fitting lid) and cook for 1 1/2 hour, or until the pudding is springy to touch. Replenish the steamer with boiling water when necessary.
- Loosen the sponge from around the sides , turn onto a plate and and serve hot with custard.
This recipe must be somebodies idea of a joke. The ingredients are all out of proportion and it ends up far to wet. The end result was just a gooey, soggy mess that is totally unpalatable. Absolute rubbish and a waste of ingredients. - 03 Feb 2013