Traditional cottage pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 500g mince
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 300ml beef stock
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- For the topping
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 75g butter
- 4 tablespoons milk
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr10min › Ready in:1hr30min
- Preheat the oven to 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic and carrot and cook over a medium heat until soft. Add the mince and cook to brown.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, purée, beef stock, mixed herbs and Worcestershire sauce. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the potatoes in water until soft. Drain and mash with the mustard, butter and milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mince mixture into a casserole dish. Top with the mash and bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.
The potato topping can be replaced by a mix of potato and sweet potato or parsnip for a delicious twist (and a lower GI score!).
Altered ingredient amounts. Delicious! I used only sweet potatoes and it tasted great! I used a tiny bit more mustard and it gave it just the right kick for us. After letting everything simmer I drained the fat off the meat mixture which I felt was helpful. Also we topped it with mature cheddar cheese. It was so good! Will definitely be making this one again. - 14 Jan 2011
It was a joy making this dish! I am still very new to cooking, and the end product was both delicious looking and tasting. Definitely will make again. - 05 Apr 2012
Used different ingredients. i left tomatoes and tomato puree out and used just carrot and onion added to mince ,i mashed carrot and turnip and put on top of mince ,i also added carrot and turnip to mashed potato ,this is such a tasty way to enjoy cottage pie and for me more substantial - 08 Jan 2009