- Preheat the slow cooker to High to cook in 5 to 6 hours or preheat to Low to cook in 6 to 7 hours.
For the tomato sauce:
- Spray or brush the vegetable oil onto the slow cooker. In a mixing bowl, combine the onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, passata, herbs, salt and sugar and mix. Add the mince and mix with the hands until well combined. Rub in the stock cube.
- Put enough mix into the slow cooker so it covers the bottom, making sure it goes right up to the edge. Place a few sheets of lasagne on top of this, breaking some up so they'll all fit. Don't overlap them as they won't cook so well. Add a sprinkling of cheese. Repeat so that you have three layers ending with a meat layer.
For the cheese sauce:
- In a saucepan over a medium heat melt the butter and stir in the flour for 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in milk gradually until smooth. Stir in the mustard and add the salt to taste. Place back over a medium heat, add the cheese, reserving some for the top, and bring to the boil, stirring constantly until thick and creamy. When slightly cooled pour over the top layer in the slow cooker. Cover with a sprinkling of more cheese.
- Cook on High for 5 to 6 hours (but keep checking after 5 hours) or Low for 6 to 7 hours until the beef is no longer pink and the lasagne is al dente. Serve.
For this recipe you can use 450g beef mince, pork or a bit of both.
Instead of 2 teaspoons oregano you could use 1 teaspoon oregano and 1 teaspoon basil.
Slow cooker size
This recipe would work best in the smaller slow cookers, for larger cookers double the recipe.