Be the first to make this!
About this recipe:
Made with rice and rolled oats instead of mashed beans, these vegetarian burgers have an unexpectedly light texture. Serve them hot in burger buns, with a mixed salad.
300 ml (10 fl oz) vegetable stock
50 g (1¾ oz) couscous
50 g (1¾ oz) rolled oats
50 g (1¾ oz) long-grain rice
Salt and black pepper
100 g (3½ oz) low-fat natural cottage cheese
1 clove garlic, crushed
4 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
4 teaspoons soy sauce
Oil for greasing
Wholemeal flour for shaping
4 burger buns or pitta breads
To serve: mixed salad
- Bring the stock to the boil. Place the couscous and oats in a large heatproof bowl and pour the stock over them. Stir well and leave them to stand for 30 minutes to absorb the liquid.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and cook the rice according to the instructions on the packet. Drain thoroughly and set aside to cool.
- Add the cooked rice, cottage cheese, garlic, oregano and soy sauce to the couscous and oats and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the grill to medium. Line the grill pan with foil and lightly brush with oil. Divide the grain mixture into eight balls and use lightly floured hands to shape them into round, flat burgers.
- Grill the burgers for 3-5 minutes each side until they are golden brown.
use ordinary long-grain rice rather than the easy-cook variety, as it helps to bind the mixture and gives the burgers a better texture.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate