Extra time:30min resting ›
- In a bowl mix flour, sugar and baking powder. Transfer to a food processor, add butter and pulse for a few seconds at the time until the butter is evenly distributed.
- Transfer to a bowl; add the egg and the vanilla. Mix quickly with a silicone spatula and then with your hands until you make a ball. Add milk, 1 tablespoon at a time, only if the mixture is too dry to make a ball. Wrap in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment.
- Lay out a sheet of greaseproof paper and place the dough on top. Lightly flour the rolling pin and roll out the dough to 1cm thickness. Cut out your favourite shapes and transfer on the baking trays, leaving about 2cm between them. Refrigerate for 10 minutes or until the oven is hot.
- Preheat the oven to 160 C / Gas 2-3.
- Bake in the middle rack for 2 minutes, or until the biscuits are just golden on the sides. Do not overcook or they'll become hard. Remove from oven, cool on a rack and serve.
Cutting them out
These biscuits are great to make with kids. However, this means the cut out process will likely take forever with the dough getting soft and warm. But no problem! Make sure to roll out the dough without adding too much flour or they will harden up; then, refrigerate the dough longer, about 20 minutes, before baking.
It's better to bake the biscuits in the middle rack of your oven, so they won't burn. If you have 2 baking trays, bake first one, then the other straight from the fridge.
Once cooled, store in an airtight container, so they won't soften.