Extra time:45min chilling ›
- Combine flour, xanthan gum and salt in a food processor by pulsing several times. Add cold butter in cubes and pulse until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add beaten egg; pulse until the mixture starts to come together. Add milk, one tablespoon at a time, until pastry is moist enough to hold together when pressed.
- Remove pastry from bowl and wrap tightly with cling film. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or one hour if you have time.
- Remove pastry from fridge; let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes. This step will make your rolling easier and also avoid cracks in the pastry.
- Roll pastry between 2 sheets of parchment paper. Remove top sheet of pastry and invert onto a pie dish; peel off parchment paper gently. Trim off edges leaving about a 1.5cm overhang. Fold edge underneath. Flute dough as desired.
- To bake the pie crust, bake at 200 C / Gas 5 for 15- minutes, prick bottom and sides. With pie filling, bake for 10 minutes at 200 C / Gas 5 and then reduce temperature to 180 C / Gas 4 for another 40 minutes.
Gluten free flour mix:
This is available in larger supermarkets or you can make your own gluten free flour blend using this recipe.
Bake the pastry case at 200 C / Gas 5 for 15 minutes. If you have added a filling, bake for 10 minutes at 200 C / Gas 5 and then reduce temperature to 180 C / Gas 4 for another 40 minutes.
Brush the edges of the pastry case with milk or cream to achieve a glossy, golden colour as it bakes.