Strawberry yoghurt smoothie
- 450g (1lb) ripe strawberries, hulled
- grated zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 225g (8oz) plain low-fat yoghurt
- 1 tbsp caster sugar, or to taste (optional)
- To garnish
- 4 small strawberries
- 4 small slices of orange
Prep:5min › Ready in:5min
- Put the strawberries in a food processor or blender and add the grated orange zest, orange juice and yoghurt. Blend to a smooth purée, scraping down the sides of the container once or twice. Taste the mixture and sweeten with the sugar, if required.
- For a really smooth consistency, press through a sieve to remove the strawberry seeds.
- Pour into glasses. Garnish with small strawberries and slices of orange, both split so they sit on the rim of the glass.
Some more ideas
Apricot yoghurt smoothie: Use dried apricots to make a smoothie with an extra charge of beta-carotene and fibre. Gently simmer 200g (7oz) ready-to-eat dried apricots in 900ml (1½ pints) of strained Earl Grey tea for about 30 minutes or until tender. Cool, then pour the apricots and liquid into a blender. Add the orange zest and juice and yoghurt, and blend until smooth. Taste and sweeten with sugar, if required.
*Add a sliced banana to the strawberries. This will thicken the texture of the smoothie and will also add natural sweetness, so taste before adding sugar. You may not need any.
Strawberries contain higher levels of vitamin C than any other berries. And, despite their sweetness, 115g (4oz) of strawberries contain fewer than 32kcals!