- Preheat the oven to 140 C / Gas 1.
- Soak the quinoa in water for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain and place in a pan with 200ml water and a pinch of salt. Bring to the boil; lower heat and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat; add aubergine cubes and cook, stirring often, until soft. Season with salt.
- Place quinoa, grated cheese, aubergine and 1 egg in a bowl. Mix well, then transfer to a ramekin, patting down slightly.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Optional: Slice the reserved aubergine skin into thin strips. Heat some olive oil and fry the strips to make crispy aubergine 'chips'.
- Serve the quinoa and aubergine burger on a bun, with your favourite sauce and the aubergine chips on the side.
If the burger mixture is too soft, add 1 tablespoon of rice flour.
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.