1 / 1 Picture by:
Roast chicken with parsley and lemon stuffing
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed and finely chopped
- 125g (4½ oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 chicken, about 1.8kg (4lb)
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 200ml (7fl oz) dry cider
Prep:15min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr15min
- Heat the oven to 190°C (375°F, gas mark 5). Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the onion and celery and cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes, until soft.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest, some salt and pepper and enough lemon juice to bind the mixture. Leave to cool.
- Put the chicken in a roasting tin and spoon about half the stuffing into the neck end. Tuck the flap of skin over to enclose it. Put the remaining stuffing in an ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the chicken with lemon juice, salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes per 450g (1lb) plus 20 minutes extra, until the chicken is golden brown and the juices run clear, basting from time to time. Cook the stuffing in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Lift the chicken onto a warm serving plate and cover with foil. Skim off any excess fat from the juices in the tin. Place the tin over the heat, stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Gradually add the cider, whisking, until thick. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chicken and stuffing with the cider gravy and new potatoes, carrots and broccoli.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!