Roasted Tomato, Pepper and Chorizo Soup
- 1 red onion, with skin, quartered
- 2 long sweet red peppers, halved lengthways
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 500ml chicken stock, made with stock cubes
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g chorizo, chopped
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 15g fresh basil leaves, torn
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Preheat the grill to high. Arrange the onion, peppers and tomatoes on a baking sheet, cut sides down, with the garlic cloves.
- Grill the vegetables for 6-8 minutes or until the skins are beginning to blacken. Remove the skins from the onion, pepper and tomatoes, and squeeze the garlic flesh from the skins.
- Chop half the vegetables into small chunks and put the remainder into a food processor or blender with the garlic flesh and stock. Process until smooth, then return to the pan with the chopped vegetables. Season the soup with a little salt and ground black pepper.
- Bring the soup to the boil, stirring occasionally. Add the beans, chorizo and balsamic vinegar, cover and simmer gently for 2-3 minutes. Toss the basil into the soup and serve.
For chorizo, use diced lean salami or chopped frankfurters. * For a vegetarian soup, use vegetable stock and omit the chorizo. Add a 400g can drained chickpeas with the red kidney beans.
The soup can be made up to two days in advance. Prepare to the end of step 3, then cool, cover and store in the fridge. To use, continue the recipe.
…speed it up
Grill the onions and garlic as steps 1 and 2. Use a 280g jar of roasted red peppers and add a 400g can tomatoes to save time on peeling the fresh ones. Chop and purée with the roasted onion and garlic at step 3.
Roasted cherry tomato soup Replace the plum tomatoes in the basic recipe with 350g cherry tomatoes: grill the tomatoes until the skins split, with 1 halved unpeeled red onion, 1 halved red pepper and 2 garlic cloves, as for the basic recipe. Purée the tomatoes whole with their skins, with the stock and garlic. Peel and chop the vegetables, then add to a pan with the puréed tomatoes. Omit the beans and balsamic vinegar, but include the chorizo, or 200g can tuna, drained and flaked. Add 2 tbsp green pesto with the basil leaves. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Finish the soup by sprinkling with 100g crumbled feta cheese and 50g pine nuts. Serve with Chilli Bean Wraps.
Made this today for lunch, went for the jar of roasted peppers and tinned toms option, must say it was blumming lovely. - 27 Oct 2013
Beautiful!! (Even though I forgot the kidney beans). The kids loved it too which was a surprise as they're not fans of soup. - 03 Nov 2012
We used spicy chorizo so put in less than suggested. The soup is delicious and with the beans is quite filling too. This will become a staple for us. - 15 Feb 2011