- Heat a generous amount of oil in a large frying pan. Fry tortilla squares until lightly brown and crispy. Remove them immediately from hot oil with a slotted spoon as they can burn pretty fast. Spread on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper to remove excess oil.
- Heat pinto beans in their cooking liquid in a small saucepan; mash and keep warm.
- To prepare the sauce, cook tomatoes in boiling water until tender, about 5 minutes. Let tomatoes cool slightly, then peel and place in a blender with with chillies, garlic, 125ml cream and salt to taste. Pour sauce into a clean large frying pan and simmer for 5 minutes for flavours to blend.
- Stir in shredded chicken and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the fried tortilla squares, coating them completely with the sauce; cook 1 more minute.
- Serve immediately with a side of mashed beans. Garnish chilaquiles with the remaining ream and Cotija cheese.
If you can't find cotija cheese, try using grated Pecorino Romano.
Chipotle chiles in adobo:
Chipotle chiles in adobo are sold in tins so you can buy them in bulk. They are dried chipotle chilli peppers in a sauce. They add heat and a smoked flavour to your Mexican dishes. They are available online and in Mexican grocers.
Thin tortilla chips won't work for this recipe: they will absorb all the sauce and fall apart. You can use store bought tortilla chips, as long as they have been made with thick corn tortillas.