Cherry bakewell tarts
- For the pastry
- 150g plain flour
- 75g butter
- 6 tablespoons water
- For the sponge
- 50g self-raising flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 1 egg
- strawberry or raspberry jam
- For decorating
- 6 tablespoons icing sugar
- Glacé cherries, halved
Prep:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- For the pastry; Mix the flour and butter together in a large bowl and use your fingers to blend into crumbs.
- Add the water gradually and mix with a metal spoon.
- On a floured surface knead it into a dough.
- Roll the dough out with a rolling pin, then cut out circles using a scone cutter.
- Put the circles in a yorkshire pudding or bun tray, moulding them to the cup shape.
- For the sponge; Put the flour, caster sugar, butter and egg in a mixing bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Put a teaspoon of jam in each pastry shell, then put 2 tablespoons of the sponge mixture on top.
- Put in the oven preheated to 180 C / Gas mark 4 until the sponge is golden brown and springy, about 15-20 minutes.
- Leave to cool. Mix 6 tbsp icing sugar with enough water to make a spreadable icing. Spread evenly to cover the top of each tart, topping with half a cherry.
- Leave to set before serving.
these are so nice! - 22 Jul 2011
Fantastic ^^ I made this and used some ground almonds in the sponge mixture and used real marzipan instead of icing on top. Thanks! - 12 Jun 2012
there is a temperature in this recipe people, it says 180 degrees!! but they are yummy!! highly recommend for tea parties! - 04 Jun 2010