- Soften the noodles: Put the noodles in a large bowl and cover them generously with boiling water. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Marinate the scallops: Cut the scallops into thick slices and put them into a bowl. Add the garlic, lemon zest, mustard and tarragon, then stir in 2 tbsp oil. Mix well and set aside.
- Stir-fry the vegetables: Heat a large frying pan or wok with the remaining oil. Add the vegetables and stir-fry for 5 minutes.
- Mix with the noodles: Drain the noodles, wipe the bowl with kitchen paper and return them to the warm bowl. Add the stir-fried vegetables and mix well. Set aside.
- Cook the scallops: Add the scallops to the pan or wok, scraping in all the mustard mixture, and cook quickly for 2-3 minutes, turning the slices once. Divide the vegetable and noodle mixture among four large plates. Arrange the scallops on the plates. Add the watercress to one side.
- Make a sauce: Add 4 tbsp boiling water to the pan or wok and bring it to the boil, stirring to loosen all the cooking residue. Boil hard for a few seconds. Spoon the boiling juices over the watercress and serve immediately.
For scallops, use monkfish fillet. Buy a 350g piece from the thick end of the fillet and remove all the membrane that surrounds the fillet using a sharp knife. Slice the monkfish into 1cm thick medallions.
…use it up
Stir-fries are great for using up vegetables you have in your fridge such as carrots, celery, courgettes and peppers. Cut them into similar-sized sticks or slices so that they will cook in the same amount of time.