Orange Chicken and Rice Salad
- 200g long-grain rice
- 300g carrots, peeled and grated
- juice of 1 large orange
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 tbsp snipped fresh chives
- 400g ready-cooked skinless chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 4 tbsp pistachio nuts
- 200g lamb's lettuce
- orange wedges, to garnish (optional)
Prep:15min › Cook:12min › Ready in:27min
- Cook the rice: Put the rice into a large pan and add plenty of boiling water. Bring back to the boil and stir once, then lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the grains are just tender. Drain.
- Prepare the salad: While the rice is cooking, put the carrots in a large bowl. Add the orange juice, mustard, oil and chives. Season. Add the chicken and mix into the salad with the pistachio nuts.
- Finish the salad: Add the rice to the salad and mix lightly. The cold ingredients and dressing will quickly cool the rice to make a deliciously warm salad. Toss in the lamb's lettuce leaves and serve garnished with orange wedges, if you like.
*For rice, use orzo (Greek rice-shaped pasta)or small soup pasta shapes. *For the chicken, use diced, cooked turkey or ham (or a mixture of both) or smoked pork loin. *For carrots, use grated celeriac with the grated zest and juice of 1 lime instead of the orange.
The salad can be made earlier in the day, a few hours before you want to eat. Cook the rice in advance, drain and leave it to cool. Prepare and mix the other ingredients but keep them separate until the rice has completely cooled. Mix, cover and chill the salad until required. Remove from the fridge about 20 minutes before serving.
Make the salad with brown rice if you have a little more time to spare – the rice takes about 30 minutes to cook.