Chilli Beef and Taco Salad
- 500g lean minced steak
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp dried
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 iceberg lettuce, torn
- 2 ripe avocados, halved, stoned and sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 75g tortilla chips
Prep:15min › Cook:14min › Ready in:29min
- Fry the mince: Heat a large, heavy-based frying pan until hot, then add the minced beef and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring to break up any lumps.
- Add the flavourings: Add the garlic and chilli flakes, then cook for a further 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring often. Stir in the tomato paste, oregano and lemon juice, then cook on a low heat for 2-3 minutes. Season.
- Make the salad: While the mince is cooking, put the iceberg lettuce, avocado slices, onion and tomatoes in a wide salad bowl. Add the meat mixture and toss well to mix evenly. Scatter some of the tortilla chips over and put the remainder in a separate bowl. Serve at once.
*For crushed chilli flakes and sun-dried tomato paste, use 2-3 tbsp sweet chilli dipping sauce, and replace the oregano with chopped fresh coriander. *Instead of lemon juice, use lime juice.
Add more tortilla chips or some toasted chunks of pitta bread if feeding a hungry family.
To feed more people, stir in a 400g can red kidney beans, borlotti or pinto beans, drained and rinsed, at the end of step 2 and heat the mixture through thoroughly.
Steak mince is more expensive than minced beef as it is made from tender, lean cuts of meat, but it makes a less fatty dish.