Irresistible Irish Soda Bread
- 450g (1 lb) plain flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 65g (2 1/2 oz) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 450ml buttermilk
- 50g butter, melted
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr › Ready in:1hr15min
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C / gas mark 3. Grease a 23x12cm (9x5 inch) loaf tin.
- Combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and bicarbonate of soda. Blend egg and buttermilk together, and add all at once to the flour mixture. Mix just until moistened. Stir in butter. Pour into prepared bread tin.
- Bake for about an hour, or until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Wrap in a clean drying cloth for several hours, or overnight, for best flavour.
fantastic bread, so quick and easy, i'll be making this most days i think! - 19 Dec 2012
I have never made anything like this before, but it tasted great!!! I will definitely make this again and again. =) - 29 Mar 2012
Very Good. This bread is a soft dough, so you must put it into a loaf tin, unlike other soda breads that you can shape into a loaf. This as with all soda breads is a dense bread. - 14 Jul 2008