Serves : 8
- 1L coconut milk
- 6 tablespoons caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 1 dessertspoon vanilla essence
- 125ml dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Prep:5min › Cook:10min › Ready in:15min
- Combine the coconut milk and sugar in a saucepan and scald over medium heat.
- Beat the egg yolks with the vanilla. Beat in 125ml of the scalded mixture into the egg yolks. Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the scalded mixture. Stirring mixture constantly, cook over low heat until mixture reaches a temperature of 70 C. The mixture should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. DO NOT BOIL.
- Sieve the mixture into a bowl. Stir in the rum and let cool to room temperature. Place cling film on the surface and refrigerate until well chilled. Once chilled, serve with nutmeg sprinkled on top.
THIS IS A SUPERB RECIPE.. - 21 Jul 2008
I followed the instructions as closely as possible, but mine didn't turn out. It had a grainy taste (probably from the coconut). I wouldn't try it again. - 21 Jul 2008
I make this as I am lactose intollerant, but it's still very creamy. Make sure you use unsweetened coconut milk. very good! - 21 Jul 2008