All-Butter Scottish Shortbread
- 175g (6 oz) plain flour
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 175g (6 oz) butter
Prep:10min › Ready in:10min
- Preheat oven to 150 C / Gas mark 2.
- Blend all ingredients well. Dough will be stiff.
- Press into a 23cm (9 in) buttered baking dish. Prick top with a fork.
- Bake until a pale golden brown on the edges, approximately 30 to 40 minutes. Cool and cut into squares.
My Gran taught me a similar recipe, which is easy to remember. 2oz Caster Sugar 4oz unsalted butter 6oz Plain Flour This is easily doubled up to make 1 whole baking tray full then cut into fingers while still warm...always prick with a fork before baking whether making rounds or fingers. Sprinkle with Castor Sugar when cool. - 22 Nov 2011
Altered ingredient amounts. Used smaller dish for thick slices and left in oven for 1 hour. Perfection - 28 May 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. Added a little more flour so my son was able to use cutters :D - 15 Jan 2011