Mac 'n' Cheese
Serves : 4
- 225g (8 oz) uncooked macaroni
- 50g (2 oz) butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 275g (10 oz) grated mature Cheddar cheese
- 50g (2 oz) grated Parmesan cheese
- 750ml (1¼ pints) milk
- 30g (1 oz) butter
- 50g (2 oz) dried breadcrumbs
- pinch paprika
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- In a saucepan, melt 50g butter over medium heat. Stir in enough flour to make a roux. Add milk to roux slowly, stirring constantly. Stir in cheeses and cook over low heat until cheese is melted and the sauce is a little thick. Put macaroni in large casserole or baking dish and pour sauce over macaroni. Stir well.
- Melt remaining butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add breadcrumbs and brown. Spread over the macaroni to cover. Sprinkle with a little paprika.
- Bake at 180 C / Gas mark 4 for 30 minutes. Tuck in immediately!
Parmesan cheese is not truly vegetarian, as it contains animal rennet. To make this dish 100% vegetarian, omit the cheese or find a suitable vegetarian substitute made without animal rennet. In supermarkets look for the 'parmesan style hard cheeses' which are suitable for vegetarians.
Used different ingredients. i substituted 100ml of milk for 100 ml of single cream, and added chopped honey roast ham. delicious! - 18 May 2009
Altered ingredient amounts. I added about 150g extra cheese. It still needs something though - maybe some pepper and worchester sauce in the sauce. Crumbled bacon would be yummy too. - 07 Aug 2008
I added onion, leek and chopped ham. I thought the sauce would be too thin but after the stated 30mins in the oven in was just right. Delicious! - 08 Dec 2012