Tim's Mac and Cheese
Serves : 6
- 1 (500g) packet macaroni
- 125g (4 1/4 oz) butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- ground black pepper to taste
- 475ml (16 fl oz) milk
- 200g (7 oz) grated Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices day-old bread, torn into small pieces
- salt and pepper to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to the boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and reserve.
- In a large sauce pan, melt 1/2 of the butter over medium heat. Add flour and some ground black pepper to taste; stirring until paste-like consistency. Add milk to mixture and stir continually until mixture starts to thicken; slowly stir in cheese 1/2 at a time until all cheese is melted.
- Preheat oven to 180 C (gas 4).
- Pour cheese mixture over macaroni. Mix well and pour into a lightly greased 20x30cm baking dish. Place bread pieces on top of macaroni mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Melt the remaining butter and pour over bread. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve.
Brilliant dish, whole family loved it, added leftover gammon and sauted mushrooms, so easy to make. - 10 May 2013
Good recipe although I would add more cheese next time. And I also had some leftover gammon that I put in. - 09 Mar 2013