Plain and simple vanilla cake
- 200g (7oz) sugar
- 115g (4 oz) butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g (7oz) flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 120ml (4 fl oz) milk
Prep:20min › Cook:30min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C (gas mark 4). Grease and flour a 23cm tin or line a bun tray with paper cases.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until the mixture is smooth. Pour or spoon mixture into the prepared tin or bun cases.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For fairy cakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
How to ice cupcakes
Watch our How to ice cupcakes video to see how to dress them up or down for any occasion!
FAILED pleese make it more clear what flour to use - 28 Oct 2011
Hi, I am a new house husband and never baked from scratch before and wanted to suprise the family with a cake, this was soo simple to follow and i even got inventive and added cherries to it. Just waiting for it bake now. - 21 Jul 2011
Took shortcuts. instead of putting the flour and baking soda in a different bowl then adding it to the creamed mixture, I sieved the flour with the bakind soda into the creamed mixture plus I used an electric whisk - 16 May 2010