Mince and Tatties
- 500g (1 1/4 lb) steak mince (butcher's mince only)
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon mixed herbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon Coleman's mustard
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- dash Worcestershire sauce
- dash Tabasco Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Bisto granules
- 2 to 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- good knob butter
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr20min
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown the mince along with the onions, mixed herbs, salt, pepper and mustard.
- Once the mince is browned, cover with water and add the chopped carrots, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Leave to simmer for about an hour and a half, partially covered. I find that the longer you simmer the mince the more tender it will be.
- Mix in Bisto powder and cook a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, place the peeled and diced potatoes into a saucepan with water to cover, and place on high heat to boil for 10 to 15 minutes, until tender. Drain and mash with butter and salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon mince onto plates and top with mash. Serve immediately with brown sauce and peas, if desired.
Made it last night & the boyfriend loved it. Added cream to the mash & added celery & a few other veg to the mince to make it a bit more healthy! Thanks will do this often now! - 05 Oct 2010
very easy, very tasty. - 09 Apr 2010
Altered ingredient amounts. Add brown sauce, beef cube and mixed herbs - 31 Jan 2011