Serves : 6
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 675g boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut in half
- 3 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh root ginger
- 25g chopped coriander leaves
Prep:20min › Cook:55min › Ready in:1hr15min
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken, and season with turmeric, chilli powder and salt. Fry gently, scraping the bottom of the pan frequently and turning the chicken.
- Pour in the tomatoes with their juice, cover the pan, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes. Uncover, and simmer for another 10 minutes to let the excess liquid evaporate.
- Add the ghee, cumin, ground coriander, ginger and fresh coriander, and simmer for another 5 to 7 minutes. Serve the chicken pieces with sauce spooned over the top.
Something else. Added a sliced green pepper just before the end of cooking. Really freshens it up. Also, added fresh green chillies at certain points (arbitrarily) - gave it a bit more kick. Ghee is not strictly necessary - when frying the oil at the start, a similar (and preferred to me) effect is given by adding a knob of butter as well! - 30 Jan 2010
Easy and will be cooked in one hour! Indian food had been for eating out only, but now I can cook at home!!(Other recipes sometimes requires so many process and time) Thought maybe some chicken cubes could be added on, but I was amazed that the recipe tastes very good enough without any unhealthy things... - 10 Jan 2013
ive made ALOT of curries at home and (coming from the curry capital - Bradford) none of them have ever lived up to the restaraunt ones! until now, i absolutely loved this, it is really tasty with strong flavours and so easy to make. All i did different was add some sliced red peppers and at the end i added a tablespoon of double cream, apart from that i stuck to the recipe 100%....will definitely make it again.....thanks for sharing this Alia x - 07 Sep 2011