Healthy Tomato Pasta Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (400g) tin plum tomatoes
- 1 (500g) carton passata
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:15min › Cook:1hr10min › Ready in:1hr25min
- In a large saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat until soft. Add chopped carrots, peppers, celery and mushrooms and saute for a further few minutes.
- Add tinned tomatoes, passata and apple. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- During the final 10 minutes of cooking, add basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Blend to a smooth sauce with a hand blender before serving.
This recipe is brilliant! I reccomend it for the fussy kids!! I did freeze some so that my hubby (who cannot cook in the slightest) could warm it and put with some spaghetti as a cheat for spag bog!! - 15 Jul 2010
Great recipe ! Very tasty and easy to do as I am no nigella - 21 Aug 2013