Caramel mud cake
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 200g white chocolate, chopped coarsely
- 440g brown sugar
- 375ml water
- 300g plain flour
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, beaten lightly
- Caramel icing
- 120g butter, chopped
- 190g brown sugar
- 70ml milk
- 230g icing sugar
Prep:35min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr35min
- Preheat oven to 150 C / Gas 2. Grease a deep 22cm round tin; line base and sides with baking parchment, extending paper 5cm above the edge of pan.
- Combine butter, chocolate, sugar and water in medium saucepan; stir over low heat intil mixture is smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl; cool 15mins. Whisk in flours, then vanilla and eggs.
- Pour mixture into prepared pan; bake in oven for about 2 hours. Stand in pan 10mins; turn onto wire rack to cool.
- Place cake, top-side up, on serving plate; spread cold cake with caramel icing.
- To make caramel icing: Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to the boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3 mins; then cool. Gradually stir in icing sugar until icing is of spreadable consistency.
An easy recipe but I think I took it out a bit early as its very stodgy (my trademark state of cake!) I attempted to spin sugar to go on top but failed, so smashed the solid caramel in the bottom of the pan with a mallet and chucked it on top instead. Will let you know how it goes down. - 08 Jun 2013