Fluffy haddock fish pie
- 1.5kg (3 lb) Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes, peeled and diced
- 600g (1 lb 6 oz) haddock fillets
- 300ml (1/2 pint) milk
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 200g (7 oz) creme fraiche
- 100g (4 oz) Emmental or Leerdammer cheese, finely grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Prep:45min › Cook:15min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat oven to 220 C / Gas Mark 7. Cook the potatoes in a large pan of boiling water until tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the haddock in a pan, pour over the milk and sprinkle over the spring onions. Cover, bring to a boil and simmer for 5 to 8 minutes until the fish is cooked and flakes easily.
- Lift out the poached haddock with a fish slice and discard the skin and any bones. Pour the warm milk and spring onions into a jug, there should be 200ml (7 fl oz).
- Drain the potatoes well and mash until smooth. Beat in the warm milk and spring onion, followed by the creme fraiche. Gently fold in the flaked fish and half the cheese. Season with a little salt and plenty of pepper. Spoon the mixture into a large, shallow, heatproof dish and sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes, or until golden and crunchy on the surface. Serve.
Used different ingredients. Onions Chedder Single Cream - 21 Apr 2011
This is great because you can use different fish, cheese, potato types and accompaniments and still get a delicious warming supper. - 20 Sep 2012
This was very nice and simple to make. Yum! - 27 Apr 2011