1 / 1 Picture by:
Low Salt Chicken Stock
- 1 chicken carcass (raw or remains from a roasted chicken)
- chicken giblets, but not the liver (optional)
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
- 1 leek, sliced (optional)
- 1 bouquet garni (bay leaf, parsley and thyme)
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
Prep:5min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr5min
- Break up the carcass into several pieces and put in a large pan. Add 2 litres of cold water and bring to the boil. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface, then add the vegetables and flavourings.
- Half cover the pan, reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2 hours or until the stock has reduced by half. Remove the pan from the heat and strain the stock, discarding the bones and vegetables. Leave to cool.
- Once cool, skim off any fat that has risen to the surface. Keep chilled in the fridge for up to 4 days or store in the freezer for up to 6 months.
A few chopped mushrooms, if you have some, can also be added to the stock with the rest of the vegetables for extra flavour.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!