Creamy butternut squash soup
Serves : 4
- 1 butternut squash, about 780g, peeled, seeded and cut into chunks
- 1 large carrot, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 80g full-fat soft cheese
- 1 tbsp finely snipped fresh chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- To serve
- 40g blue cheese (such as Roquefort, Stilton or Danish blue), crumbled
- sprigs of flat-leaf parsley to garnish
Prep:15min › Cook:35min › Ready in:50min
- Bring 1 litre of lightly salted water to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the prepared vegetables and the garlic, cover and cook gently for 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Allow to cool slightly, then tip into a blender or food processor and purée. Add the garlic and soft cheese and blend once more.
- Return the soup to the pan, stir in the herbs and reheat gently. Season to taste.
- Serve the soup with little pieces of the blue cheese scattered over the top and garnish with sprigs of parsley.
*Don't throw out the squash seeds: wash carefully, toast in a lightly oiled frying pan and sprinkle over a salad. *The soft cheese can be either full-fat or reduced-fat. For extra flavour, use one flavoured with garlic and herbs.
Used different ingredients. Left out the blue cheese as i dont like blue cheese - 02 May 2010
This is so easy and so good!! Will definitely do it again! - 06 Jan 2013
Used different ingredients. Had no chives or parsley so added fresh thyme at the end. - 02 May 2010