Chinese crispy beef stir fry
- 200g lean beef steak
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 carrot, peeled
- 1 small leek, trimmed
- 6 spring onions, diagonally sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, seeded and cut into strips
- 100g rice noodles
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dry sherry or rice wine
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- soy sauce to serve
Prep:20min › Cook:6min › Ready in:26min
- Cut the meat, across the grain, into 5cm wide pieces, and then cut each piece into wafer-thin strips. Place in a small bowl with the cornflour and five-spice powder. Mix together well to coat the meat.
- Cut the carrot and leek into 5cm lengths, then cut each piece into fine matchsticks. Put all the prepared vegetables together in a bowl.
- Soak the noodles in a bowl of lightly salted, boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and refresh in cold water, then drain again. Combine the soy sauce, sherry and 2 tbsp water in a small jug or bowl.
- Place a wok or a large frying pan over a high heat. When hot, add 1 tbsp of the oil, then when it is just smoking, toss in the meat and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until cooked through. Remove with a draining spoon. Add the remaining oil with the garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir-fry for 30 seconds, then add the vegetables and toss these around for another 30 seconds.
- Stir in the soy sauce mixture and as soon as the liquid is bubbling, mix in the drained noodles and finally the meat. Serve immediately, with extra soy sauce to sprinkle.
*For a stir-fry, it is important to have all the ingredients ready prepared before you start cooking. It then takes just minutes to toss everything together over a high heat.
*Prime beef steak is relatively expensive but you only use a small quantity in this stir-fry. Rib-eye steak is terrific value compared to fillet and even rump.
this recipe was easy to make and absolutely delicious. make sure you do cut the carrots small though - 04 May 2009
Real easy to make and really tasty, made me think of a few other things that go well with a stir-fry such as this. - 20 Aug 2012
I love this recipe, easy to prepare and excellent result - 16 Feb 2012