British onion soup
6 people made this
About this recipe:
A unique twist on French onion soup.
900g (2 lb) sliced yellow onions (no small than ½ an inch or they will fall apart while caramelising)
750ml (24 fl oz) beef stock
250ml (8 fl oz) chicken stock
Water as needed
2 (550ml) bottles Newcastle Brown Ale
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 slices of crusty bread
4 slices of Gruyere Cheese
- Saute the onions on medium low heat until caramelised. (This takes quite a while, at least an hour.)
- Add stocks, Worcestershire sauce and the Newcastle beer.
- Cook at medium heat for another 20 minutes.
- Toast bread and then drip Worcestershire sauce onto toast.
- Ladle soup into individual bowls and put one slice of toast in each.
- Cover with Gruyere and place under grill briefly to melt cheese (if necessary).
Write a review
Click on stars to rate