Champion hash browns
- 750g waxy potatoes, such as Estima, peeled
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 rindless, smoked bacon rashers, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
Prep:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- Coarsely grate the potatoes into a large bowl of iced water. Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan and fry the bacon over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until crisp. Remove with a draining spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion and green pepper to the pan and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Remove from the pan and set aside with the bacon.
- Drain the potatoes, squeezing out as much water as possible, using your hands. Transfer to a clean tea towel and pat dry. Combine the potatoes, bacon, onion, green pepper and paprika in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Add half the remaining oil to the pan and heat. Spread the potato mixture evenly in the frying pan and cook, without stirring, for 15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy on the bottom.
- Place a large plate over the pan and invert. Heat the remaining oil in the pan, slide the potatoes back into the pan and cook for a further 10 minutes until golden brown and crispy on the other side. Serve hot, cut into wedges.
Soaking the potatoes in iced water converts some of the starch to sugar, which helps the spuds to brown faster and absorb less fat. Squeezing them dry ensures that they fry properly and that you achieve a crispy texture.
Good recipe, came put really nice, only i slid the potatoes back and cooked for another 5 minutes, not 10. - 14 Apr 2013