Normandy baked apples
- 4 Bramley cooking apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 4 tsp honey
- 15g butter, cut into four pieces
- 100ml medium-dry cider
Prep:10min › Cook:40min › Ready in:50min
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (gas 4). Core and peel the apples. Sit the apples in a lightly buttered, shallow ovenproof dish and brush over the outsides with the lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- Spoon the honey and the butter into the cavities of the apples. Pour the cider into the dish.
- Bake for 30–40 minutes or until the apples are tender, basting them several times with the cider while cooking.
- Leave to rest for 5–10 minutes before serving, with the buttery cider syrup spooned over to moisten them.
If liked, you could serve the apples on slices of toasted brioche. You will find brioche in the bakery section of larger supermarkets or in continental grocers. * For a spicy flavour, sprinkle a pinch of ground cinnamon into the apple cavities and decorate with pieces of cinnamon bark.