- 1 vanilla bean
- 500ml single cream
- 125ml caster sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 675ml milk
- 250ml whipping cream
- 4 tablespoons grated milk or plain chocolate
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Split vanilla bean in half lengthways. In large saucepan, cook vanilla bean, single cream and sugar over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until steaming and sugar is dissolved. Remove vanilla bean from pan. Using tip of knife, scrape out seeds and set aside; reserve pod for another use.
- In bowl, whisk egg yolks until light-coloured. Whisk in 250ml of the hot cream mixture; pour back into pan. Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat back of spoon, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Strain into clean bowl; whisk in milk and reserved vanilla seeds. Let cool, whisking occasionally, for 10 minutes. Place cling film directly on surface of eggnog; refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate for up to 2 days.)
- Toppings: Whip cream. Pour eggnog into chilled punch bowl or individual glasses. Top with whipped cream and grated chocolate.
You can use the pod from the vanilla bean to flavour sugar. If you don’t have a vanilla bean, add 1 tsp vanilla extract to the cooled eggnog instead. If you like, sprinkle with 1 tsp grated nutmeg instead of the chocolate.
Reduce milk to 500ml and add 175ml coffee-flavoured liqueur or strong filter coffee. Garnish with chocolate-covered espresso beans.
Irish cream eggnog:
Reduce milk to 500ml and add 250ml Irish cream liqueur.
White chocolate eggnog:
Reduce milk to 500ml and add 175ml white chocolate liqueur, such as Godet.