- For the biscuits
- 100g (3¾oz) butter
- 6 tbsp icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) plain flour
- 50g (2oz) cornflour
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vanilla
- For the filling
- Strawberry or Raspberry Jam, slightly warmed
- 75g (3oz) icing sugar
- 50g (2oz) butter
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp double cream
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees C (gas mark 4). Grease two baking trays.
- Use an electric beater to mix butter with sugar until pale and very soft. Stir in the flour and cornflour, salt and vanilla.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle and pipe 20 biscuits onto the baking trays.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Leave biscuits on the tray to cool for a few minutes, then lift them off and cool on a wire rack.
- For buttercream filling, cream together butter and sugar. Add vanilla and double cream and mix at high speed until filling is fluffy. Spread the buttercream over the flat side of 10 of the cooled biscuits. Spread the flat sides of the remaining biscuits with jam. Assemble the whirls by sandwiching the buttercream and jam sides together. Dust with icing sugar.
This is the most useless recipe i have ever used, followed it twice just to make sure it was right & the biscuits just melted into 1 big square and tasted disgusting, didn't even bother making the butter cream - very disappointing!!! - 06 Apr 2011
These were a great disappointement. Tasted of butter and flour - nowhere near enough sugar. - 14 Feb 2010
my whirls didnt work out they just ended in one big mess when i put them in the oven. The mixture was also to thick and spilt my pipping bag. if i was you dont ever use this recipe and dont forget to read the reviews before making them that is were i went wrong and i wouldnt of made them if i had read the reviews :@ - 01 Dec 2012